I hope each and all of you had a wonderful Christmastime. My last two weeks have been memorable and balanced – kind of like a great wine that you come across every so often. This time of year, I think that people either look back or look forward – personally, I am a fan of doing both. I like taking stock and reliving some of the highlights of the past year while, at the same time, I look forward to the future and adventures yet to come.
And, what better way to start a new year and a new adventure than with a glass full of bubbles in your hand? I present to you your shopping guide with a few great bottles of sparkling wine to celebrate the year that was and celebrate the year to come…
- Varias ‘La Bona Vida’ Brut Cava Catalonia, Spain $18.99 – here is a fresh bubbly sipper to get the party started. Nice and flirty with citrus and honeydew notes.
- La Jara Extra Dry Organic Prosecco, Italy $18.99 – yes there is a Prosecco on this list. Generally, I am not a fan but this bottle won me over with a good array of both tree and tropical fruit notes from 100% organic Glera grapes.
- Paul Buisse Crémant de Loire Touraine, France $23.49 – a beautiful bottle of Chenin Blanc and Chardonnay. Hand harvested and a hint off-dry with notes of quince jelly and key lime pie. Just lovely.
- Ca’ del Bosco Cuvée Prestige Brut Franciacorta Lombardy, Italy $41.95 – my 2016 list would not be complete without this stunning wine. I selected it just last week at Kissa Tanto during this years’ #cautiontape holiday crawl. My only complaint is that you cannot buy it at the B.C.L.D.B – yet? Full of salt water, lemon zest, Golden Delicious apple alongside a texturally rich yeasty note – this bottle is hands down one of my favourite wines I have tasted this year. Perfection.
- Delamotte Brut NV Champagne, France $62.99 – an exquisite bottle of wine. Made with 55% Chardonnay, 35% Pinot Noir and 10% Pinot Meunier, this champagne is elegant and fun. From the Côte des Blancs soils of Le Mesnil-sur-Oger, Delamotte produces a seductive wine that blends freshness, power and charm. Delicious.
- Billecart Salmon Extra Brut NV $89.99 – if you are looking for a racy, electric ride into 2017 – then here is your champagne. With no sugar added during dosage, this champagne is beautifully dry and balanced. Loaded with fig, lemon peel notes and great complexity – here is a wine to celebrate.
Thank you, as always, for reading my wine musings over the years. I am excited for 2017 and am looking forward to understanding and uncovering more about this beautiful thing called wine (and using my new sabre a lot too!).