Happy, chilly wine Wednesday! I am enjoying looking at the North Shore Mountains coated with crystal white snow against clear blue skies! This picture perfect winter wonderland scene is an anomaly for us Vancouverites this time of year and I couldn’t be happier!
Yes, it is cold outside, but when you are all toasty and warm inside – sometimes nothing quite hits the spot like a cool, crisp glass of white wine. All of my selections are available at the B.C. Liquor Stores and I have kept the wines under $30. For my white wine readers, I present Christmas 2016 – The Whites:
- Herringbone Hills Sauvignon Blanc Malborough, New Zealand $13.99 – an electric, juicy, crowd-pleasing wine. Grab a few bottles of this if you are hosting a holiday get together.
- Lagaria Pinot Grigio Veneto, Italy $14.49 – an easy drinking wine full of citrus notes and good balance. A must for the ‘label lovers’ on your buying list and pretty darn good too!
- Gabriel Meffre Saint Vincent Côtes du Rhône Blanc, Côtes du Rhône, France $15.99 – here is a wine to try for the wine adventurists on your list. A lovely blend of Grenache Blanche, Roussane, Clairette Blanche, Marsanne, Viognier and Bourboulenc. Whew – I told you it was an adventurous wine! Full of peach, pear and floral notes – a fun wine to try, indeed.
- Spierhead Pinot Gris Kelowna, B.C.VQA $18.99 – a delicious Pinot Gris from the Okanagan Valley. For all of you B.C. wine lovers and Pinot Gris lovers on your list, this is a perfect wine full of lush pineapple and kiwi flavours.
- Sebastiani Chardonnay 2013 Sonoma, U.S.A. $19.99 – anyone who knows me knows this is my ‘go-to’ California Chardonnay. And, I am a picky Chiquita banana about my Chardonnay! (#Chardcore) This is a stellar wine for an outstanding value. Full of apple, vanilla, lemon meringue pie and restrained toasted oak notes – this Chardonnay is to be sipped, savoured and shared.
- Louis Latour Bourgogne Chardonnay 2013 Burgundy, France $21.99 – here is a wine for the hostess on your list. This is a classy bottle of well-made Chardonnay from the beautiful vineyards of Burgundy. Flavours of cantaloupe, yellow apple and citrus fruits wrapped up with a nutty finish offer up a glass of wine that is truly harmonious. This pairs beautifully with turkey dinner and good company.
- Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc 2015 Malborough, New Zealand $27.99 – a rock star wine indeed. Amazingly crafted by Cloudy Bay winemaker, Kevin Judd, this Sauvignon Blanc will delight the SB fans on your shopping list. Full to the brim with luscious lime and citrus flavours, a dash of kiwi fruit, red grapefruit and a gentle jasmine floral note on the end – I give you mouthwatering perfection.
I am getting thirsty writing this! Please be sure to check out the B.C.L.D.B. website HERE to ensure that the wine you are after is in stock at your local store.
I wish you a wonderful Christmas and holiday season. Thank you so much for reading my wine musings and offering your comments and feedback – very much appreciated.
I will be back in two weeks with your sparkling shopping list for New Year’s Eve!