For me, every day is the perfect day for Chardonnay. I am impressed with the many winemaking options winemakers have with this variety. I am doubly impressed by our British Columbian wine regions that allow for varying styles and flavour profiles. Winemaking choices seem almost endless with Chardonnay after harvesting perfectly ripe grapes in the vineyard. I find it all quite magical. And, I am #chardore.
This is my third post in a year-long series on Chardonnay. Every month, I will give you another satisfying #chardcore suggestion to enjoy.
Harper’s Trail Thadd Springs Vineyard Chardonnay 2018 Thompson Valley, B.C. VQA
- My first ever Chardonnay from the Thompson Valley wine region of B.C.
- Bright lemon yellow in the glass.
- Aromas of tropical fruits such as pineapple alongside fresh peach, Golden Delicious apple, hints of butter and vanilla with a dash of hazelnut.
- On the palate, the flavours mirror the aromas with more emphasis on the tropical notes. This wine has a great acidic backbone yet is creamy ( almost dreamy ) on the finish.
- At $19.99, this Chardonnay is one to be on the look out for.
- Pair with angel hair pasta with clams or prawns in a butter sauce.
- GGG wine score – 90 Points
Harper’s Trail Winery, owned by Vicki and Ed Collett, is the first winery in Kamloops, B.C. Named after the cattle drive ‘trail’ of pioneer rancher Thaddeus Harper, the Thadd Springs Vineyard sits among rolling hills that lay on the South Thompson River banks. I have yet to visit Harper’s Trail Winery and their 25.5-acre vineyard, but it is on my list when the province opens up again!
This Chardonnay is nicely complex and offers balanced flavours alongside great acidity. For under $20, you cannot go wrong choosing this bottle. Harper’s Trail Chardonnay is an excellent choice for wine lovers looking to expand their knowledge of wine regions in B.C. This Chardonnay is enticing, integrated and expressive.
I would love to hear if you have tried this wine and your thoughts on it. Also, if you have a Chardonnay you would like me to review, please leave a comment for me to follow up with.