Overlooking Vaseaux Lake and McIntyre Bluff, Blue Mountain Vineyard and Cellars is definitely one of the most admired wineries in British Columbia. They are known for their classic varieties: Pinot Noir, Gamay Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc and sparkling wines.
Blue Mountain Vineyard and Cellars is a family affair. Jane and Ian Mavety started as grape growers in 1971 and launched their private label in 1991. Matt and Christie, the Mavety’s son and daughter, are now proprietors of the estate. Matt is the winemaker, and Christie manages the business and marketing.
Their estate spans 32 hectares in Okanagan Falls, located on the east side of the valley. The Mavety family focuses on sustainability creating the smallest environmental ‘footprint’ they can. Gentle handling of the fruit, minimal extraction and low crop yields are just some of the methods Blue Mountain Vineyard and Cellars use to produce their pure and delicious wines.
Pinot Noir Estate Cuvée 2018
- Sourced from the highest altitude vines.
- Terroir-driven expression of vibrant fruit.
- Aromas of fresh cherry, sweet chewing tobacco, forest floor and cinnamon spice.
- Flavour profile is consistent with the aromas with an added expression of gentle vanilla and yellow plum.
- Great acidity and structure.
- GGG Wine Score – 90 Points
Pinot Blanc 2019
- 100% estate grown fruit.
- Fermented in a combination of stainless steel tanks, 35 hL foudre, 500 L oak barrels and French oak barrels.
- Spent five months sur lie. (Click HERE for my article on lees and lees aging.)
- Aromas of lemon zest, nectarine, apricot, hints of red grapefruit and a top note of jasmine.
- On the palate, flavours mirror the aromas with additional notes of almond skin and vanilla.
- Creamy, texturally rich and inviting.
- GGG Wine Score – 89 Points
Gold Label Brut NV
- One of the best sparkling wines in British Columbia. Hands down.
- Pinot Noir 57% / Chardonnay 39% / Pinot Gris 4%
- Traditional Method with 24 months of lees aging.
- Left in bottle between 6 – 9 months prior to release.
- Aromas of lemon curd, brioche and acacia flower.
- Flavours of baked bread, hints of butter, lemon meringue and lemon zest.
- Fine, steady bubbles.
- $30.00 – An outstanding value.
- GGG Wine Score – 92 Points
- Crush on This Video featuring Gold Label Brut on YouTube HERE
Gamay Noir Estate Cuvée 2019
- 100% hand harvested estate fruit.
- 12 – 30 year old vines.
- Fermented and aged in neutral oak barrels for 12 months.
- Cellared in bottle for 6 months prior to release.
- Aromas of blackberry, fresh raspberry, potting soil and violet.
- Flavour profile mirrors the aromas with a delicate addition of vanilla.
- Complex and intriguing.
- GGG Wine Score – 91 Points
Visit Blue Mountain Vineyard and Cellars when you can. And, until then, seek out these excellent wines.
Thank you to Blue Mountain Vineyard and Cellars for providing these samples to review.