Hello wine lovers and happy wine Wednesday! I hope your week was fantastic. Our trip to Cabo San Lucas was nice and relaxing with loads of ocean time, sunshine ( for the most part ) and good times. But, it is always great to be home and, as I write this, I am listening to one of my favourite Christmas tunes this year ‘This Christmas’ jazzily performed by Matthew Morrison. I am a happily typing away, bopping in my seat and getting excited for Christmastime.
Now, on to what you really want to know about this week – the sparkles and bubbles to put on your shopping list for this holiday season…And so, without any further ado, I give you the ‘2015 Christmas Shopping List – The Bubbles’:
- Zinck Cremant D’Alsace Brut, France $20.99 – here is a charming blend of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc. Light, crisp, clean on the palate with tasting notes of citrus and lemon peel. A great way to get your evening started!
- Summerhill Pyramid Winery ‘Cipes’ Brut NV B.C. VQA $23.49 – this lovely bottle of bubble is something to celebrate in itself – organic and delicious, ‘Cipes’ Brut is a blend of Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc. You will love this wines’ crisp acidity and great depth of flavour. Another glass of this B.C. beauty please!
- Jansz Premium Cuvée Tasmania, Australia $27.99 – have you tried a sparkling wine from Tasmania before? Now is the time – 100% delicious bubble from Pinot Noir with notes of strawberry, citrus and nougat. Great finish and nice purity of flavour.
- Benjamin Bridge Brut 2009, Nova Scotia $43.99 – I know I have piqued your interest. A wine from Nova Scotia? A sparkling wine from Nova Scotia? Well, yes, yes indeed. I fell for this stunner of a wine when I first tasted it this year. If you can get your hands on a bottle – do it. For under $50, and Canadian to boot – your will delight in this exceptional wine made with L’Acadie, Chardonnay and Seyval. Trust me.
- Ferghettina Brut Milledi 2010 Franciacorta DOCG, Italy $46.99 I had never heard of Franciacorta DOCG until I took my Master Champagne class this year. This region in Lombardy, Italy is giving champagne a run for the money. Made with 100% Chardonnay, this wine has a great mineral base and fantastic length. The perfect bottle for the wine adventurer on your list.
- Pierre Paillard Grand Cru Brut Bouzy, France $55.99 This is one of my favourite ‘grower champagnes’ on the market. It is full and rich in character and has a diverse flavour profile that demands respect. A blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, this champagne is one to sip, enjoy and savour everything that is right in the world.
So, I hope that I have introduced to you a few new favourites this year. I wanted to offer you options that you may not have tried or heard of before that are available at the B.C.L.D.B. and are affordable.