Happy Wednesday to you!
I cannot believe a week has already zoomed by since I attended the #TasteOKFalls 2016 Release Tasting for the Okanagan Falls Winery Association.
Held at Earls Yaletown in their fantastic upstairs loft, I had the pleasure of sampling some of Okanagan Falls’ best wine. I have to admit, I do not taste every wine at an event like this. Instead, I follow my nose to what is interesting to me. And, what grabbed my attention right off the bat, was a Rosé tasting bar…now we are talking!
It happened to be a glorious, sunny day outside – so what better way to kick off the afternoon than sampling eight rosé wines from eight wineries! Here are my standouts:
- Liquidity Wines – Rosé 2015 – 100% Dornfelder 100% delicious start to finish. This is one very cool Rosé.
- Meyer Family Vineyards – Rosé 2014 very good flavour from this mostly Pinot Noir Rosé.
- Pentâge Winery – Gamay Zinfandel Rosé 2014 loads of strawberry with nice acidity.
- Synchromesh Wines – ‘Cachola Family Vineyards’ Cabernet Franc Rosé 2015 – another winner. Enjoyed the lifted flavour profile.
I then cruised around the room and headed over to the Liquidity Wines‘ table to say hello to Erin Korpisto and Ian MacDonald. I am a huge fan of what winemaker, Alison Moyes, is doing and this release party really showcased her talent.
- Pinot Gris 2015 – this is a happy dance in a glass for all of you Pinot Gris lovers!
- White Blend 2015 – made up of Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Viognier – a classic wine blend.
- Chardonnay ‘Estate’ 2014 – my happy dance in a glass – structured, finessed, layered and bright. Beautiful.
- Pinot Noir ‘Estate’ 2014 – excellent.
After that, I went over to meet the delightful Julie Rennie of Pentâge Winery. They have 23 acres located in Penticton and their low-yield grapes are hand-harvested. I will be visiting this winery in a few weeks to see their 5,000 sq.ft. natural rock cellar. I was incredibly impressed by their Roussanne, Marsanne and Viognier Blend 2011. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to taste their other releases but will do so by the end of May. Another winery to visit and addd to your touring itinerary!
One final note for me was the ever delicious ‘Mystic River’ Pinot Blanc from Wild Goose Vineyards…the Kruger family delivers excellent wines consistently year after year. If you have not tried their Pinot Blanc, put it on your shopping list before it sells out! Absolutely fantastic.
That is it for me this week.